Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Terrace Restaurant and The Ellis Hotel



View of the Ellis entrace and the Terrace.

Several weeks ago Calvin and I dined and stayed gratis at The Ellis hotel in downtown Atlanta. We arrived on a Friday evening just in time for the hotel's nightly wine tasting, which is included for all guests. This is a nice touch and allows guests to mingle and get to know each other a bit more than they otherwise might at this boutique hotel.



Stuffed Mushrooms with Blackberry Farms sheep's cheese and spinach - my favorite dish.



Bartenders with our drinks - the Hendrick Thatcher and the Pomegranate-Acai Lemonade.



Drink menu.



Shrimp & grits - grits were very creamy.

We had a few drinks at the nicely appointed bar before being seated for dinner. The drink menu is impressive, with 11 specialty cocktails. We enjoyed all that we tried, but my favorite was the Champagne punch = champagne, grape juice and pineapple juice with a grape garnish.



Terrace crab cake with Creole mustard sauce.



Kettle Macaroni & Cheese - also made with the Blackberry Farms Sheep's cheese.



Lovely dining room.

Overall I was impressed with the food's quality and presentation. When comparing it to other hotel restaurants, the Terrace at Peachtree is certainly a step above the usual and the emphasis on local and fresh food is inspiring and uplifting for anyone professing to be even partially a "locovore".

My favorite dishes we tried were the stuffed mushrooms and the kettle macaroni and cheese. Part of why I liked both of these dishes so much is the distinct, delicious taste of the Blackberry Farms sheep's cheese used in both dishes. They were also both really tasty and I liked the presentation of the mac and cheese in it's own little baking dish. I also really enjoyed the fall salad (see below).

I was, however, disappointed with a few things. The crab cake didn't taste nearly as good as the best crab cakes I've had elsewhere, although I'm not sure what the exact issue was. Another problem I noticed was with oversalting. I found several of the dishes such as the sweet potato ravioli (which I expected to be sweet), the shrimp and grits and the crabcake to be a too salty for my taste. This is a problem easily fixed.



Excellent fall salad with roasted figs, caramelized onions, bacon and fried goat cheese balls.



Enchanted Springs Georgia mountain trout atop roasted beets.



Sweet potato ravioli with sage and roasted garlic cream sauce, drizzled with crispy onions.



Roasted local beets with Sweet Grass Georgia goat cheese.

The Terrace is a welcome addition to the downtown scene and provides a good alternative to some of the overpriced, tourist-oriented places nearby. I also really like the chef's use of often overlooked ingredients such as figs and beets (and not just a beet salad - these beets were cooked and served warm in two preparations).

I should also mention that service throughout the entire stay was outstanding. Director of Operations Peter Minervini took great care of us throughout our stay and it showed that he really cares about the comfort and satisfaction of all guests.



Amy with Chef Joel Young.



Spiced Apple Tart with butter pecan gelato.

I loved the gelato, although it had a bit of a gritty texture. To me, that shows it was really homemade, which is more important to me than perfect texture! The tart was tasty but I think by the time we got to it we were too full to really enjoy it! I'd prefer to see another type of dough or crust used here rather than the flaky pastry, but that is a personal preference.



Spacious and comfy room.

I was very impressed with our room. From the specially outfitted mini-bar (with prices that are not as high as many hotels) to the luxury soaps and lotions in the bathroom to the fluffy towels and bathrobes, the hotel management has really thought out how to make guests feel especially welcome. The rooms have all been recently renovated, including the bathrooms. The bed was extremely comfortable. I want one!



Deluxe mini-bar includes lip gloss and edible body paint.



View from our 12th floor room.



Pancakes.



Farmer's Omelet with potatoes and toast.

The next morning we were treated to a fine breakfast. The pancakes were tasty but the syrup did not appear to be pure maple - somehow I have a very discerning taste for that! Calvin's farmer's omelet was fresh and filling.

Overall I really enjoyed our Ellis experience. For Atlantans I'd recommend a "staycation" there any day and I definitely recommend the Ellis for out of town folks looking for a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel near some of Atlanta's most popular attractions. Thanks Peter, Chef & the Ellis team! We will be back!



View from just outside the entrance.



The namesake terrace.

Terrace at Peachtree on Urbanspoon

11 Comments:

Tabel20 said...

Awesome and great photography..Like it :)

Jessica said...

I tried to eat here during Restaurant Week and was really disappointed that they were booked solid. The food looks great, now I want to try and go back even more!

connectonlineshop said...

wow awesome..thanks for sharing :)

shopinsummer said...

its great restaurant with good food taste

perfumeinside said...

nice pictures and looks great restaurant

Nasir said...

I have been in this restaurant...it has very cool taste of food and location is very goood...thanks for posting :)

Restaurang said...

like it alot..thanks for sharing..love to hear news about restaurant...

Resa said...

verg good pictures with yummy photos...

John said...

looking good restaurant

Frida said...

Love to eat in this restaurant. I ate in alot of restaurant but havent try in this, hope to visit soon....Thanks for the post

SEO Company said...

I live in sweden. I wish I could vixit this restaurant...love to eat food :)