Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Roasted Corn and Spinach Soup - with a kick!


I've had a bag of Trader Joe's fire roasted corn sitting in my freezer for awhile, so I decided to put it to use in a soup. It turned out really well, although the green color may be off-putting to some. I really only added the spinach to increase the nutrient factor and it would probably be just as tasty (albeit not as healthy) without it! I did not measure the spices so try a small amount and then add more. I ended up making it spicier than I realized with the cayenne pepper, but I love spicy food so it was all good. I also wanted to add a few cloves of garlic, but I didn't have any on hand. I will certainly add in the fresh garlic next time I make this.


Amy's Roasted Corn and Spinach Soup

olive oil to coat the bottom of a soup pot or dutch oven
1 medium white or yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 bag Trader Joe's fire roasted corn (frozen)
10 baby carrots
1 bag fresh spinach (mine was also Trader Joe's brand)
1/2 cup milk
water
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
few shakes of garlic powder
2 tablespoons honey

Cook the onion in the olive oil until tender. Add the corn and stir until corn is no longer frozen. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the milk and enough water to cover the vegetables. I did not measure the water but I used very little. You can always add more water so don't overdo it. You can use all milk or no milk if you'd like to make it vegan. Add the spinach and stir until it cooks down into the mixture. Add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, honey and other spices to taste. Here I would have added whole garlic cloves, peeled and ends chopped off if I'd had any around. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Cool. If desired, put in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Enjoy!


0 Comments: