Friday, February 12, 2010

STEEL



Sushi combo bento box.

Recently I lunched with friends at STEEL in midtown Atlanta. Although I'd heard much about their Wednesday happy hour free sushi (5-7 PM every Wednesday) from my good friend Mary Beth (an excellent in-home personal trainer - see her website here) this was my first experience at this sleek, modern restaurant. The place was practically empty the day we went for lunch and service was attentive.

I tried the sushi bento box (above) which included a salad and a choice of spring roll - I had the crabmeat mango fresh roll. The sushi was of decent quality but it wasn't very memorable. I tried a bite of the curried tofu, which was tasty, although I'd be inclined to add a bit of Sriracha to up the ante a bit. Looking at the dinner menu, it is clear this place could get expensive (entrees from $15 to $28). This is a good place for a business lunch or dinner and there's a free parking deck attached, so that's not a problem. I'd recommend this place if you're in the area and are not on a budget; still, since I've only been once it's hard to make a final call yet.



I like this space, although I imagine it could get rather loud when full.



A view of the lunch menu.



Spicy shrimp rice bowl.



Curried tofu rice bowl.

Steel Restaurant & Lounge on Urbanspoon

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Just saw your entry on Steel. I have only been here one time as well and, like you, it was for lunch and I got the sushi bento box. It was exactly as you said - not offensive, but not memorable either.

On the other hand, others at my table got the "sea bass" and it was excellent, and the hot and sour soup was different than the usual preparation and was without a doubt the best I have ever had (its a guilty pleasure of mine and I order it everywhere I can).