Friday, May 08, 2009

Penang Malaysian and BuHi Farmer's Market



Nasi Lemak - sometimes I get a real craving for this!

Wednesday evening I convinced a couple of my girl friends to accompany me to dinner and to the Buford Highway Farmer's Market (5600 Buford Highway, just outside the perimeter). We dined at Penang, which serves up tasty Malaysian and Thai cuisine. I had the nasi lemak (pictured above) which was spicy and tasty; I love the savory coconut rice. The curry chicken served along with the pickles and anchovy mixture really hits the spot with the rice, too, and the hard fried egg is an interesting addition, although in my opinion it could do with a little less cooking! My friends seemed to really enjoy their noodle dishes (below) also. They pretty much cleaned their plates, as did I, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I will have to do another post on the BuHi farmer's market sometime. Let me just say IT IS AWESOME! It's quite different from DeKalb Farmer's Market, with more in the way of packaged goods from other countries and less in the way of fresh fish and deli products. This was especially evident with the Japanese selection as well as the Eastern European goods. I didn't even have a chance to check out the African/Caribbean section or the Latino section - definitely on the list for next time. They have several prepared foods sections as well, which are probably busier during the day. From what I noticed these include a Mexican bakery (with fresh-made tortillas, breads & pastries), a taqueria up front, a Korean/sushi counter and an Eastern European counter with pierogies, pastries, cheeses etc. I will be back soon and I promise to take photos. Honestly I was just too excited to take any this time! I also enjoyed their variety of produce and going on a weeknight was probably a good idea - not crowded at all and much easier to navigate than I've found at the DeKalb market. Try it - you'll like it!



Tiki-like entrance.



Thai Basil Noodles.



Pad thai, veggie style.


Penang on Urbanspoon

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

If it weren't for this review, I wouldn't have eaten at Penangs last week. Was quite a pleasure. So many thanks!

FnS