Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Highland Bakery Revisited



Cilantro Corncakes

With friends in town we decided to try the newly renovated Highland Bakery for Sunday brunch. This is one of my favorite places (along with West Egg Cafe) for brunch in Atlanta (see my previous post here). The new space shows off a much larger bakery with breads, pastries, cakes and more. Samples of bread were available, making the short wait pleasant indeed. Perhaps the new space has something to do with the wait being shorter as well, which is a major plug for this place as West Egg can be downright impossible to get into in less than an hour on the weekends.

With several people, we tried a variety of dishes including the above-pictured corncakes, which were tasty, but not as flavorful as I expected. The crabcake benedict, on the other hand, tasted great, with just the right amount of seasoning. The accompanying potatoes were also solid, especially when dressed with Calvin's favorite addition (sour cream!) For some reason I was more in the mood for lunch, so lucky for me, there is a full line of sandwiches and salads along with the brunch items. I tried the Caprese sandwich (below), which was tasty, although a bit more oil and balsamic (yes, I know about the balsamic debate re: Caprese salads, but on a sandwich I'm a fan of including it to moisten the bread and create a flavor contrast) would have been appreciated. We had to try the grits pie after seeing it in the pastry case while we waited. It tasted like pecan pie without the pecans and really didn't taste much like grits - oh well, we liked it anyway and the key lime pie was tasty too. Service was noteworthy, especially because it was so busy and because we sat outside, which I imagine could be a problem sometimes. It did take a few minutes for our food to arrive but our waitress was extremely accommodating and pleasant for the entire visit. Way to go!



Crabcake Benedict with potatoes.



Caprese Sandwich with fruit salad.



Grits Pie (left) and Key Lime Pie.



Mini-cupcakes one of our guests bought to take home.

Highland Bakery on Urbanspoon

1 Comment:

Goldilocks Bakery said...

Hmmm... looks so yummy! Wish I can also go there and have a taste of it myself. Anyway, I've been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.



-megan-