Monday, August 27, 2012

China Wing - Korean in Charlotte


Haemul pajeon - Seafood and scallion pancake.

One of the biggest food disappointments in Charlotte as compared to Atlanta is the Korean cuisine - or rather the lack of it! In Atlanta there are literally hundreds of options including full Korean BBQ restaurants, simpler Korean restaurants which specialize in particular dishes, Korean bakeries and even Korean shaved ice shops. In Charlotte there are only a small handful of places that serve Korean cuisine and many of them are quite far from my in-town neighborhood. This puzzles me because Charlotte has a decent number of Vietnamese and Thai restaurants. There are certainly fewer people of Korean descent living in Charlotte than in the Atlanta area but not so few that there should not be more options for Korean cuisine. In any event, I was extremely excited to finally visit China Wing, which to my knowledge is the closest place to me where Korean food is served.

China Wing looks like it used to be a Long John Silver or similar fast food joint. In order to make it the Korean owners serve a variety of American fast food in addition to the full Korean menu. You want the Korean menu, which has detailed descriptions of the dishes and photographs of most of the options, making it less intimidating for first-timers.

I was pleased with everything we ordered including the delicious Korean seafood and scallion pancake, the noodle dish japchae, the BBQ pork and the bi bimbap, a personal favorite. One disappointment was that the selection of banchan or panchan - tiny dishes, often pickled served with the meal - was limited to just 2: tasty kimchi and pickled radish. At other places (of course I'm comparing to Atlanta) you get at least 4-5 different options or possibly more. Still, I can't complain since the main dishes and the banchan we were given were delicious and definitely hit the spot and satisfied my craving for Korean food. I look forward to returning to China Wing and to visiting the other Korean restaurants in the area. I also look forward to visiting my favorite Korean spots back in Atlanta when we visit! Where have you had Korean cuisine in Charlotte? Super G Mart and Cho Wan Garden are on my list.


Make sure you get the Korean menu!


Japchae - delicious noodles.


BBQ pork.


Bi Bimbap - so hot the egg cooks in the dish!




China Wing on Urbanspoon

4 Comments:

http://www.pfchangs.com said...

The food looks great. very tasty!!!

bluang3lbby said...

I never heard of this place. There is a place on Independence called Cho Won Garden that serves Korean and also a stall in Super G. But my friends all swear by Pepero in Matthews when they want a Korean fix. There was another place on Independence that is good but sadly it closed down.

bluang3lbby said...

Update to my previous comment: the place that I had said was previously closed is now reopened under a new name and new ownership. It is called Inter-Korean. It was good but it was sorta hot in the restaurant. Dumplings was a bit on the greasy side and if you go there just stick with the Korean dishes and skip the Chinese ones.

Mark said...

Just like Bluand3lbby said a lot of my friends and I go to Pepero on Monroe Road. The decor has gotten a lot better but the food you can't beat for the price.