Thursday, May 07, 2009

Fresh Produce is Here!



Fresh egg omelet with mushrooms and parsley; homemade butterfly biscuits.

Last Sunday I began my 17 week subscription to Small Farms CSA. In exchange for buying a share and becoming a "co-producer" in a farm cooperative, I receive a portion of fresh produce on a weekly basis from the participating farms. Sometimes I also get eggs, goat cheese, honey and/or grits. This week I got spinach, braising greens, lettuce, parsley, arugula and fresh eggs. There's something about knowing that the produce is local and fresh that makes it taste better!

I've had fresh salads for lunch all this week. I also made the omelet above along with fresh butterfly buttermilk biscuits. I cooked the braising greens in olive oil with lots of sliced garlic and mushrooms. Once the greens were cooked I added a splash of apple cider vinegar. Who knew greens could taste so delicious!?

Tonight I am going to bake with the fresh eggs as I wonder if there will be any difference in outcome/taste. Look for an upcoming post soon!

0 Comments: